NOTICEPOTENTIAL FOR DATA LOSS.
The steps detailed in the resolution of this article may result in a loss of critical data if not performed properly. Before beginning these steps, make sure all important data is backed up in the event of data loss. If you are unsure, please contact Product Support Services prior to attempting the procedure below.
Replacing or adding storage drives to Digital Sentry DSSRV / DSSRV2.
Pelco Video Management
- DSSRV / DSSRV2 (JBOD)
Note: This is for non RAID systems.
Storage addition or replacement.
In order to record video to the DSSRV / DSSRV2 a new drive must first be formatted through Windows. This can be done on the DSSRV / DSSRV2 by following these steps:
- Place the hard drives into the DSSRV / DSSRV2 while it is powered down.
- Go to Start.
- Right Click on Computer.
- Select Manage.
- Select Disk Management.
In the drive initialization keep the default settings.
Note: If the drive initialization wizard does not popup automatically, in Disk Management, locate the new Disk # in the bottom right window where it is listed as "Unknown, Not Initialized". Right-click and select "Initialize Disk" to open the drive initialization wizard.
Make sure Partition Style set to GPT.
Note: If you see two unallocated partitions, right click on the Disk X and select convert to GPT. This will allow the full hard drive to be one unallocated partition.
- Once the drive initialization is complete, right-click in the unallocated space and select New Simple Volume...
- This will open the volume wizard, click Next
- Verify all disk space is selected and click Next
- Now you can either leave the drive letter default or change depending on your preference and then select Next
- Verify "Format this volume" is selected with NTFS, leave Allocation Unit Size: Default, enter a Volume label: if needed, check Perform a Quick Format and then click Next.
- Click Finish
- Once the status of the new partition shows Healthy, exit Disk Management.
- Go to Start > Computer and verify the new drive letter is listed and available.
- Reboot the DSSRV (Start > Shutdown > Restart).
- Once the DSSRV is up, Open DS Admin.
- Select the VAU Computer Name
- Select the "Storage Locations" TAB
- Select the new added hard drive
- Put a check mark next to "Activate Storage Location"
- Click Save.
- Re-start Digital Sentry Storage Service
- Verify a new folder with the current month and date gets created in the new Storage drive(s)
Adding storage to Digital Sentry using DS Admin.
Digital Sentry Network Video Recorder (DSSRV) replacement hard drives
Can I use third party hard drives with the DSSRV recorder?
How to expand the storage array on a DSSRV.
Hot swapping hard drives in the DSSRV.
What Pelco external storage arrays are compatible with Digital Sentry HVRs?
How to configure Network Storage on a DS System.
DSSRV and DSSRV-RAID card SATA cable location.
Effective Storage for DSSRV units.