Upgrade the Digital Sentry software version on a DSSRV(2) or DS NVs system.
Pelco Video Management
- Digital Sentry 7.2 and above
- DS NVs
- DSSRV / DSSRV2
Avoid software upgrade failures.
This process covers upgrading the Digital Sentry software from versions 7.2 direct to the latest release version (Incremental upgrade not required). Digital Sentry software versions older than v7.2 will require a complete software removal before upgrading to newer versions, refer to: How to completely uninstall Digital Sentry Software Suite
As of Digital Sentry software version 7.7.309 and above, Microsoft .NET 4.5.1 is a requirement. This means Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server are no longer supported. The DS 7.7.309 installer package does not include .NET 4.5.1, if .NET 4.5.1 is not preinstalled on the server the installer will initiate a download of .NET 4.5.1 from Microsoft which will require internet access. If there is no internet access at the server location and .NET 4.5.1 is not preinstalled, download a standalone installer here : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40779
Digital Sentry Software v7.17 and greater introduces a database upgrade to Microsoft SQL Server 2012, this enables compatibility with the Windows 10 and Windows 2012 Server operating systems when using the software only DS NVs installation. Windows 10 / Server 2012 are not supported on DSSRV(2) hardware.
Upgrade Installation Time
30 to 60 minutes
DS 7.17 version or greater upgrade free disk space requirement
- Microsoft recommends a minimum of 6GB's of free disk space when installing SQL Server 2012. Verify the recommended free space on the C:\, if low disk space is discovered refer to this KB article for assistance: What to do when the DSSRV system drive becomes full . DSSRV2 recorders should have a C:\ drive partition of around 111GB's, if the C:\ is 50GB's refer to the following article to correct: How to Increase the C: Partition Size of the DSSRV2. This will generally impact upgrades from versions DS 7.16 and below to DS 7.17 or greater, once the system has already installed SQL Server 2012 from a previous upgrade the 6GB recommendation is no longer valid, although it is still recommended to have at least 2GB's of free space for any software upgrade.
- Verify the system meets specifications: Digital Sentry information page
Backup your configurations (database) using the article : Running DSBackup on Digital Sentry to import/export settings
Note: The database backup is for archiving purposes only, the upgrade procedure will not remove any settings. You do not need to restore the backup after the upgrade process is complete.
- If the system is using a purchased IP camera license, document the license number for backup purposes. The license number can be located by navigating to START > All Programs > Pelco > License Key Entry
- Download the latest version of Digital Sentry software to the system or PC.
- Close any Digital Sentry applications that are open, example: DS Admin or DS ControlPoint.
Open Services (Start > run/search bar > type services.msc [ENTER]) and stop the following services:
Stop the standard Digital Sentry services.
- DigitalSENTRY WatchDog Service (may not be running)
- DigitalSENTRY Storage Service
DigitalSENTRY VideoServer Service
Note: The DigitalSentry services Windows login user account (Username:DSNVSUser Password:Pelco123) username and password will reset back to default during the upgrade. This is only a concern if changed from default.
*As of Digital Sentry software versions 7.7.309 and above, there may also be the following services (if installed - they are optional and may not be installed) which can also be stopped.
Stop the services in the order listed.
- DigitalSENTRY DSNSMREST Service.
- DigitalSENTRY Serenity Service
- DigitalSENTRY Pelco API Service
DigitalSENTRY FrameServer Service
Navigate to Programs and Features and uninstall the following:
Uninstall the standard Digital Sentry software.
- DS DS Admin
- DS ControlPoint
DS Video Server
*As of Digital Sentry software versions 7.7.309 and above, there may also be the following applications installed.(if installed - they are optional and may not be installed).
Uninstall the software in the order listed.
- DS NSMREST Service (if listed)
- DS Serenity Service (if listed)
- DS PelcoAPI (if listed)
DSFrameServerService (if listed)
- Right-click the downloaded DSInstaller ZIP file and select Extract All... to decompress (unzip) to a folder.
Double-click the Setup.exe "Application" in the extracted folder to start the upgrade process.
DS 7.17 or greater - Double-click the Install file.
- DS 7.17 or greater - Double-click the Install file.
- Select "Run" if a security windows prompts.
The required software prerequisites will install first and may require a system reboot depending if MS .NET 4.5.1 is installed.
DS 7.17 and greater will install Microsoft SQL Server 2012 if not present, this process can take up to 1 hour to complete but generally is around 30 minutes.
- DS 7.17 and greater will install Microsoft SQL Server 2012 if not present, this process can take up to 1 hour to complete but generally is around 30 minutes.
At the "Welcome to the InstallShield Wizard for DS" window, click Next >
DS 7.17 or greater skips this step.
- DS 7.17 or greater skips this step.
- Read the License Agreement and select I accept the terms in the license agreement if you agree.
- Select Recording and Viewing Software and click Next >
Select Automatic and click Next >
DS 7.17 and greater skips this step.
- DS 7.17 and greater skips this step.
- Click Install
- Click Run on any security windows that appear.
- There may be a driver installation window prompt for Cap Co., Ltd, select Install if prompted.
- Click Finish on the "InstallShield Wizard Completed" window.
The DS Quick Setup Wizard window will launch, click Next
Note: If prompted for login credentials, use the DS Admin username and password.
- Select Add/Remove IP Cameras and click Next
- On the "Recording Configuration" window, select the desired recording type for any "New" IP cameras that are going to be added, IP cameras that have already been added to the system before running DS Quick Setup will use the previous saved record settings no matter what is selected in this window. Click Next
- A list of your IP cameras will be displayed, verify the correct IP camera license count next to Licenses Used: x/x
- All IP cameras previously configured should have a check mark next to them and will be configured as before the upgrade, click Next
- Verify the information in the Confirm Configuration window, the Default Recording value only displays what was selected on the "Recording Configuration" window and does not indicate how individual IP cameras are configured. If not sure, select the < Back button and verify. Click Next
- When the message Configuration Completed Successfully appears in the "Applying Configuration" window, click Next
- Click Finish
Verify the following windows services have a Status = Started and Startup Type = Automatic
- SQL Server (DS_MSSQLSERVER)
- DigitalSENTRY VideoServer Service
- DigitalSENTRY Storage Service
- DigitalSENTRY VideoServer Utility
- Verify Live and Playback of new and existing video in DS ControlPoint to insure the system is healthy after the upgrade.
- If using a 3rd party application or the Pelco Mobile application, download the "DS Pelco API Bundle Installer" from pelco.com which matches the same software version as the DSInstaller. Follow the "ReadMe.txt" file located inside for installation instructions.
What is the Digital Sentry software release revision history?