WARNINGELECTROSTATIC DISCHARGE REQUIRED.
Discharge all static electricity from your person by touching metal prior to handling any hardware. Failure to do so may result in damage to devices.
NOTICEPOTENTIAL FOR DATA LOSS.
The steps detailed in the resolution of this article may result in a loss of critical data if not performed properly. Before beginning these steps, make sure all important data is backed up in the event of data loss. If you are unsure, please contact Product Support Services prior to attempting the procedure below.
Adding and configuring an additional storage HDD to a DX8100.
Pelco Video Management
- DX8100 Series DVR/HVR (All Versions)
- DX81HDXXXXKIT (X = hard drive size), Used for adding additional storage
- HDD-XXXXR (X - hard drive size), Used for replacing an existing bad drive
Failed storage HDD or adding a new storage HDD.
After adding or replacing the storage drive in the DX8100, the new unformatted storage drive will not be recognized by the system and must be configured properly within Windows Disk Management before it can be added to the PDB. Hit Cancel on the PDB menu and login to Windows.
NOTE: A total of four hard drives can be install in a DX8100 Series.
SETTING UP THE SYSTEM DATA PARTITION WITHIN WINDOWS DISK MANAGEMENT
- In Windows Mode, Go to Start, and then select Run. The Run dialog box appears.
In the Open text box, type diskmgmt.msc, and then click OK. The Disk Management dialog box appears.
- Click Next. The "Select Disks to Initialize" dialog appears
- Click Next. The "Completing the Initialize and Convert Disk Wizard" appears.
- Click Finish. The data disk status changes to Dynamic.
The Dynamic data disk must be changed back to Basic in order to be properly recognized. Configure the data drive as a basic disk:
a. Right-click Disk. The shortcut menu appears.
b. Click Convert to Basic Disk. The disk status changes to basic.
- Once the drive has been converted back to Basic, the drive will need to be partitioned.
Right-click on the Unallocated drives pane.
Select the partition format settings:
a. Click New Partition. the New Partition Wizard appears.
b. Click Next. The Select Partition Type dialog appears.
c. Verify that the "Primary partition" option is selected.
d. Click Next. The Specify Partition Size dialog appears.
e. Click Next. The "Assign Drive Letter or Path" dialog appears.
f. Verify that the "Assign the following drive letter" option is selected.
g. Click Next. The Format Partition dialog appears.
h. Verify that the "Format this partition with the following settings" option is selected.
i. Click the check box to select "Perform a quick format."
- Click Next. The "Completing the New Partition Wizard" appears.
- Click Finish. The drive is formatted.
- Close the Disk Management dialog. The Windows operating system appears.
Allocate the data partitions for the system drive and optionally the data drive.
ALLOCATING THE STORAGE DRIVES
NOTE: The system drive's data partition and the data drive must already be formatted and partitioned.
- Go to Start and select Shut Down. The Shut Down Windows dialog appears.
- Select Restart and then click OK. When the unit restarts, the PDB Initialize dialog appears.
- Locate the option "Space on one or more hard disk drives has not yet been allocated to the PDB database."
Click the plus (+) sign to expand the list.
- In the New Volume (E:) box, click the "Not used" button, and then select Allocation.
Repeat steps 4 and 5 to convert other data drives.
- Click "Begin allocation." The Warning dialog box opens.
- Click Yes to start the allocation process for the selected drive(s).
- After the storage allocation procedure is complete, the DX8100 will start automatically and resume service.
For detailed step-by-step instructions on the HDD removal and installation process, please refer to the DX8100 Hard Disk Drive Installation Manual.