NOTICEPOTENTIAL FOR DATA LOSS.
The steps detailed in the resolution of this article may result in a loss of critical data if not performed properly. Before beginning these steps, make sure all important data is backed up in the event of data loss. If you are unsure, please contact Product Support Services prior to attempting the procedure below.
The RAID Array is not configured
Pelco Video Management
VXS version 1.1.2056.56
The RAID Array is not configured.
Here are the steps to configure the RAID array on a VideoXpert Storage Device (VXS):
1. Boot up the VideoXpert Storage Device (VXS) and Enter MegaRAID Configuration Utility by hitting CTRL + R as shown below
2. Use the arrow keys to select the top line "AVAGO 3108 MegaRAID" and then press the "F2" key to bring up the menu.
3. Select "Create Virtual Drive" as shown below
4. Use the TAB key to move to the RAID Level setting.
5. Change the RAID Level to RAID-6.
6. Use the TAB key to move to the Drives section and then hit the Spacebar to select each drive that you want to add to the RAID array.
*NOTE: In the image below, I have selected all 8 drives in a 48 TB VXS to add them all to the RAID array.
7. Use the Tab key to navigate to the "Advanced" option and hit enter and you will see the menu shown below.
8. Change the Strip Size to 1MB and leave the remaining settings at their defaults.
9. Use the Tab key to navigate to the option that says "Initialize" and then hit the Spacebar to select it.
10. Use the TAB key to navigate to "OK" and hit the enter key.
*NOTE: You will get a warning that you are about the wipe the RAID array, but this is required to setup the RAID so go ahead and select "OK" to continue.
11. After you select "OK", you will be returned to the main menu. Verify that the Virtual Drive has been configured and that it is RAID-6.
12. Hit the "ESC" key to escape out of the MegaRAID BIOS Configuration Utility. Select "OK" to continue and exit out.
13. Follow the instructions on the screen by pressing Control+Alt+Delete to reboot the unit.
14. Once the unit reboots, it will launch Windows Server 2012 R2. Login to the "Pelco" account. The default password is "Pel2899100".
15. Go ahead and click on the Windows Explorer icon and notice that there is only a C: drive and there is no D: drive as shown below.
*NOTE: This is because the RAID array has not configured in Windows, assigned a drive letter, and formatted yet.
16. Open the Server Manager by clicking on the icon in the Task Bar as shown below.
17. Click on "Tools", then click on "Computer Management".
18. Select "Disk Management" and you should see a popup message to Initialize the RAID array labeled as "Disk 1".
*NOTE: Make sure to put a check next to "Disk 1" and select "GPT (GUID Partition Table)" and click "OK" as shown below.
19. Move your mouse over the Disk 1 listing and right-click on the area that says "Unallocated" and select "New Simple Volume".
20. Leave the Simple volume size at default where it matches the Maximum disk space as shown below and click on NEXT.
21. Assign drive letter "D" to this volume as shown below and click on NEXT.
22. Change the File system to "NTFS", Allocation unit size to "64K", Volume label to "Data" and click the check box next to "Perform a quick format" and click on NEXT.
23. Verify that your settings are correct and click on "Finish" to complete the New Simple Volume Wizard.
24. Verify that the new "Data" volume "D:" shows up in Disk Management and is "Healthy" as shown below.
25. Close out the Disk Management window and click on the Windows Explorer icon in the Task Bar and verify that now there is a "Data" volume labeled as Drive (D:)..
26. The RAID is now available to the VXS to be used for recording video files.