Upgrading Loytec L-IP to the latest firmware or checking current firmware version.
TAC Vista, Field Devices, Other
- Loytec L-IP
- Network Interface
UL 864 v.9 for Smoke Control requires at least version 5.04 firmware in all system L-IP's.
Verifying L-IP Firmware Version via Console Connection
To use the serial interface, the DB9 console connector of the L-IP can be connected to the RS-232 port of a PC. The L-IP-3ECTB and L-IP-33ECTB use a standard null-modem-cable must be used to connect the L-IP’s DB9console connector to the RS-232 port of the PC. The PC will communicate with the L-IP using a HyperTerminal program with the communication settings set to 38,400 bps / 8 data bits / no parity / 1 stop bit / no handshake.
The L-IP displays the console menu shown in Figure 1 upon a successful HyperTerminal connection initiated by a “enter” keystroke or power cycle of the L-IP:
LOYTEC electronics GmbH
L-IP Configuration Menu
 Show device information
 Serial firmware upgrade
 System configuration
 EIA-709 configuration
 IP configuration
 EIA-852 device configuration
 EIA-852 server configuration
 Reset configuration (factory defaults)
 Device statistics
 Reset device Please choose:
Figure 1: L-IP main menu.
Select Option 1 to Show device information This menu item shows information about the L-IP and the current firmware version. The output should look like what is shown in Figure 2.
Product code: L-IP-3ECT
Primary image Version: 5.0.5
Build date: Fri Mar 18 10:41:29 2005
Serial number: 002304-80000000E73C
Free memory: 557K,57K
System temp: 33.3C
Supply volt: 12.0V
Unique Node IDs
Port 1: 80 00 00 00 E7 3C
EIA852: 80 00 00 00 F7 92
Figure 2: Device information.
(For UL 864 v9: If the Firmware Version does not reflect a Version 5.0.4 or Version 5.0.5, you must update the firmware to an approved version in the next steps. If the L-IP contains an approved version, further action is not required.)
L-IP Firmware Upgrade
- To download the firmware via the console connected the L-IP to the RS-232 port of a PC via its console interface as outlined above.
- Download the lswitch_lipxxx.zip located at www.loytec.com to the PC.
- Install the LOYTEC serial upgrade tool (LSU Tool) by double clicking LSU_2_0_1setup.exe.
- Double click on the lswitch_lip_xxx.dlc file. This will start the LSU Tool and load the firmware image referenced in the . lswitch_lip_xxx.dlc file. The start window of the LSU tool is shown in Figure 3.
*note that the lswitch_lip_xxx.dlc file and the lswitch_lip_xxx.dl file must be stored in the same folder.
Figure 3: LSU Serial Upgrade Tool in idle mode.
- If the L-IP is not connected to COM1 you can change the port to COM1, 2, 3, or 4. Press “Download” to start the download. A progress bar as shown in Figure 4 can be seen.
Figure 4: Progress bar during firmware download.
- If the upgrade is successful the following window appears (Figure 5).
Figure 5: Successful firmware upgrade.
- Exit the LSU Tool. Reconnect through HyperTerminal connection and initiate the console by a “enter” keystroke or power cycle of the L-IP. At the console main menu, select option  Show device information, and press Enter. This will bring up the current device information as shown in Figure 2, for verification that the firmware version has updated successfully.