Trouble synchronizing the time of the Automation Server or Enterprise Server to a NTP server or between each other.
StruxureWare with Automation Server(s) or Automation Server(s) combined with Enterprise Servers
The AS and the ES do not syncronize time to each other, they must use an external server or be manually configured.
Trouble synchronizing the time of the AS to other AS or ES.
- Until the time is set, b3 data will not update in the Watch Window.
- Until the time is set, BACnet COV will not be functional.
- Automation Server time does not synchronize directly with the Enterprise Server. Instead, all servers can synchronize to the same accessible time server.
-To adjust the Automation Server time, time zone, and DST, you have to access the Automation Server through a WorkStation.
The Enterprise Server gets the time from the computer it is installed on. In order to check what Network Time Protocol (NTP) server the computer is using, go to Control Panel > Date and Time and click on the Internet Time tab. Here you can click on Change settings... to see which NTP server is being used. To insure that the ES is in sync with the AS controllers, you will want to use the same NTP server for both. For Time Servers in your area visit the NTP.Servers Web.
Automation servers Date and Time can only be configured to look at an NTP server or set manually.
- The NTP time sync on the Automation Server up to version 1.2 is adaptive. The AS will gradually change the time and eventually get fully in sync with the NTP server's time.
- Starting in version 1.3 the time in the AS will be set directly to what is provided by the NTP server.
The time displayed in Workstation will reflect the time zone of the local computer that Workstation is installed on. All events and alarms will be automatically modified to match the time of the workstation that was used to log into the server. The "Server time" will represent the date and time of this server adjusted to client local time zone, while the fields below "Server time" represent the settings of the Automation Server. The same applies to a Xenta controller underneath an Automation Server, the time in the controller will reflect the client's local time zone. See example images below.
How to synchronize date and time settings on multiple Automation Servers
IMPORTANT: As stated above, only the time settings are synchronized via the Lead/Shadow configuration, the time itself IS NOT synchronized via the Lead/Shadow but rather by all servers synchronizing with the configured timer server.
The synchronizing of multiple Automation servers can be done with a lead/shadow relationship. You define the primary and secondary network time server settings for connected shadow Automation servers on the Enterprise server. Setting up the Primary and secondary time servers in the ES only passes those configuration settings to the AS controllers, it does not send the actual time and date value.
- In the ES Workstation, go to the Tools menu > Control Panel.
In the Server box, select the Enterprise server that you want to synchronize the Automation server time settings with. Then click "Network time and time zones".
Under the Enterprise Server Date &Time tab > Network time synchronization on shadow Automation Servers > Click Enable.
- In the "Primary time server" field, type the address of the NTP server that you want to synchronize the shadow Automation Servers clocks with.
- In the "Secondary time server" field, type the address to the time server that you want to synchronize shadow Automation Servers clocks with if the primary time server is not available.
- Click Save.
In the Search box in the top right corner of the Workstation, type "Date and Time" and click Search for the date and time object on all connected servers in your Building Operation system.
In the Search view, select the servers with the time and date you want to synchronize with the Enterprise Server time server settings. Click the Show/Hide Property Grid button.
Click the Time tab. In the "Lead object" field browse to (Enterprise Server Name) > System > Time Settings > Date and Time. Click Save.
- You may need to stop and start the Enterprise server to get the configuration settings to pass down to the shadow Automation servers.
Note: In order to set up synchronization of the time zone settings follow steps 7 through 10 with the following exceptions.
- Set the ES time zone
- On step 7, search for "Time Zone" instead.
- Click on the "Zone Info" tab on step 9 instead.
- Browse to (Enterprise Server Name) > System > Time Settings > Time Zone on step 9.
Tip/Trick - to see the time of your ES as well as multiple AS controllers:
Drag the Server Time, which can be found in the Properties of the server > Basics tab > Status Information as shown below.
Click where it says Server time and drag to the Watch window as shown below.
It is the AS who is initiating the synchronization so make sure the AS have the correct IP address to the ES and if a firewall exist that the ports is open so the AS can connect to the ES.
Make sure the correct IP address is specified in the communication tab for the ES.