- What are the default settings and wiring needed in order to control Spectra IV or Spectra Mini from a DX8100 Series HVR?
- DX8100 RS422 Pin OUT
- DX8100 coaxitron setup
Pelco Video Management
- DX8000 series DVR
- DX8100 Series Hybrid Video Recorder (HVR)
- Spectra Series Domes camera
Control (Pan/Tilt/Zoom) Cameras using the DX8000 or DX8100 DVR.
Congifure the DX8100 Series HVR for Serial or Video telemetry
- Protocol Pelco "C" (Coaxitron).
- Protocol Pelco "D" or "P" using CAT5/CAT6 **NOTE** - 18/2 Twisted Pair IS NOT a recommended data cable.
Both methods of PTZ control can produce equal results; however COAXITRON is the easiest/recommended method, as the control signals are sent up the same Coaxial cabling which the video signal is coming in on from the camera.
In addition, Spectra III and IV Dome and Spectra Mini Positioning Systems are ready to receive coaxitron control commands from the factory, with no additional dipswitch modifications required.
Method 1 - Using Pelco "C" Protocol aka Coaxitron
To use this method:
- Set the DX8100 HVR Series Camera Setup Menu "Protocol" drop-down menu to "PELCO-C", as described in Step 1 and 2 in Lessons Learned Article #8782: "How do I setup and control a PTZ camera on the DX8000 series digital video recorder?"
- Set the DX8100 HVR Series Port/Device Menu "The selected device is used by this port" drop-down box* to "PELCO(SPECTRA II,III...)".
*note: It does not matter which COM Port number is selected here, as this is only a technicality required for DX8100 Coaxitron functionality.
Method 2 – Using RS422 via Pelco "D" or "P" Protocol over 2-wire twisted pair
To use this method:
Set the DX8100 HVR Series Camera Setup Menu "Protocol" drop-down box to "PELCO-D" or "PELCO-P", and set the "Dip Switch Address" drop-down box value (see below), as described in Step 1 and 2 in Lessons Learned Article #8782: "How do I setup and control a PTZ camera on the DX8000 series digital video recorder?"
From the Factory, Spectra III & IV Dome & Spectra Mini Positioning Systems Dip Switch configuration is as follows:
- Pelco "D" Protocol address 1, Pelco P Protocol address 2*.
- Interface mode = RS422
- Baud Rate = D=2400, P=4800
- Parity = No Parity (None)
- Data bits = 8
- Stop Bit = 1
Using the above Spectra III & IV Dome & Spectra Mini Positioning Systems Dip Switch configuration, configure the DX8100 HVR Series as described below:
To configure Port 1 to Port 4 properties (Port 1 is the bottom RJ45 port and port 4 is the top RJ45 port):
- In the Network page, click the Port/Device tab. The Port/Device page is displayed.
- In the Communication Port drop-down box, select the port number you want to configure.
In the device drop-down box, select a device.
ATM/POS devices can use COM1 and Port 1 to Port 4. The KBD300A and third-party dome devices use Port 1 to Port 4.
Configure the following port settings using the drop-down box.
- Interface mode
- Baud rate
- Data bits
- Stop bits
- Click Apply.
*note: Pelco P and D Protocol address changes will be necessary to gain RS422 control over more-than-1 Spectra Dome Positioning System. For more information, please refer to “SWITCH SETTINGS”.
Wiring for DX8100
Wire Connections to DVR COM ports.
Connect the TX+ and TX- wires from the DX8100 COM Port into the RX+ and RX- terminals on the PTZ Camera. (TX+ will go to RX+ and TX- will go to RX-).