This document provides information to be used as a guideline for configuring Axis cameras/encoders so that VideoXpert can use 2 video streams and motion detection.
Pelco Video Management
The system integrator/installer needs to configure Axis IP cameras correctly in order for VideoXpert to utilize “Primary” and “Secondary” stream viewing along with motion detection.
- “Primary” stream
- “Secondary” stream
- Motion detection
- Add camera to VideoXpert using the Axis driver
- Configure recording schedule
Open the camera’s web interface, go to “Settings”, then select “Stream” and configure the following:
- Frame rate
- Bit rate control
- H.264 profile
Select the “System” tab, then “Stream Profile”
- If there are existing profiles, remove all of them.
Add a new profile:
- Name it “VideoXpert0P”
- Give it a description, such as “Primary Stream”
- On the “Image” tab, all settings match the “Stream” settings previously set in step 1.
- On the “H.264” tab, make sure the GOP length, h.264 profile, and bit rate control are set correctly
- Click OK
Add another profile
- Name it “VideoXpert0S”
- Give it a description, such as “Secondary Stream”
- On the “Image” tab, set the resolution to a low value
- Set the frame rate as desired, such as 5 or 10 frames per second
On the “H.264” tab, set GOP length, h.264 profile, and bit rate control
- Since the resolution is lower for this profile, you should use a lower bitrate, like 1500kbps
- Click “OK”
Configure motion detection:
- Go to http://<camera’s ip>/operator/motionDetection.shtml
- Configure the motion window and sensitivity settings as required
- Use the “Activity” window to validate motion detection is working properly
- Refer to Pelco Knowledge Base article LL#19750 for reference
- After making a lot of configuration changes, it is not a bad idea to reboot the camera
Add the camera to VideoXpert using Admin Portal, not VideoXpert Toolbox
- Manually add the camera/encoder rather than automatically detecting
- When adding the camera to the recorder, select the Axis driver
Configure the VideoXpert record schedules
- Refer to Pelco Knowledge Base article LL#19014 for reference
Since the camera is already added to the VXS, skip to step 7.
- Either modify an existing schedule or create a new one as necessary
- Once configuration is complete, pull up the camera in OpsCenter to verify video streaming and motion recording is working satisfactorily.